Billionaire kidnapper: What happened in court during Evan’s case on Friday

METRO PLUS

Hushpuppi: US court dismisses fraud case against Nigerian, Mr Woodberry

A US court has dismissed a fraud case against a Nigerian accused of cyber-crime, Olalekan Ponle, popularly known as Mr Woodberry.

Four Police officers arrested for fleeing kidnap scene of Maku’s niece

Four police officers who failed to stop the kidnapping of Salisu Usman Maku, nephew of former information minister Labaran Maku have been arrested.

54-year-old pastor defiles girl,10, in Ogun

• Teenager remanded for alleged rape of minor• Man, 28, rapes 14-year-old girlDaud Olatunji, Abiodun...

Generator fumes kill three Delta kids, carpenter falls, dies

Three siblings have died after inhaling generator fumes in Emevor community, in the Isoko North Local Government Area of Delta State.

Police arrest 60-year-old man for defiling 9-year-old girl in Anambra

Police in Anambra State have arrested a 60-year-old man for allegedly defiling a 9-year-old girl in Nkwelle Ezunaka, near Onitsha.

Justice Hakeem Oshodi of an Ikeja High Court, Lagos, has rejected the claim by two co-defendants of alleged kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, alias Evans, that a confessional statement extracted from them was done under duress by the police.

Justice Oshodi, on Friday ruled that the defence counsel of Chilaka Ifeanyi (fourth defendant) and Victor Aduba (sixth defendant) did not provide sufficient proof to the court that they were coerced into giving the statements to the police, NAN reports.

He also noted that the 1999 Constitution did not state that confessional statements to the police must be in a particular form and that statements to the police could be made either orally or in writing.

“The evidence of the prosecution was not dented by the defence counsel. The defendants have not been able to provide any evidence of inducement, threat or promise.

“There is no proof that the statements of the fourth and sixth defendants were made involuntarily.

“The statements of the fourth defendant is hereby admitted and marked as Exhibit 8 while the attestation form is marked 8A.

”The statement of the sixth defendant is marked Exhibit 9,” the judge said.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that during the trial-within-trial, Ifeanyi and Aduba claimed that their statements to the police were forcefully obtained by the police during interrogation.

However, Insp. Idowu Haruna, the Investigating Police Officer (IPO) and member, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Intelligence Response Team, disputed their claims.

While giving evidence, Haruna said that their statements were given in a conducive environment.

He said the defendants were not threatened and that they cooperated with the police while investigating the kidnap of Chief Donatius Dunu, their alleged victim.

Mr Yakubu Oshoala, the Lead prosecuting counsel, thanked the court for the ruling and informed it that the IPO who was scheduled to give evidence, was absent in court.

“My lord, the witness is outside jurisdiction. He went on a short training outside jurisdiction and he informed us yesterday that his flight was canceled.

“We apologise for this and we ask for another date; he will be within jurisdiction by then,” Oshoala said.

Justice Oshodi adjourned the case to Jan. 10, 2020 for continuation of trial.

Evans is standing trial alongside Uche Amadi, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Chilaka Ifeanyi, Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu and Victor Aduba over the alleged kidnap of Dunu, Chief Executive Officer, Maydon Pharmaceutical Ltd.

The six defendants were arraigned on Aug. 30, 2017 on a two-count charge of conspiracy and kidnapping.

According to the prosecution, they kidnapped Dunu and collected 223,000 Euros (N100 million) as ransom from his family.

Four witnesses, including Dunu have so far testified during the trial on behalf of the state.

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

MOST READ

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

LATEST ARTICLES

Lekki shooting: Why I said forces were beyond my control – Sanwo Olu

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has explained what he meant when he said that ‘forces’ beyond his direct control were to...

End SARS: Buhari presides over NSC meeting

President Muhammadu Buhari is currently presiding over the National Security Council Meeting, NSC, in Abuja.Bashir Ahmed, the President’s...

It’s s no longer about SARS – Seun Kuti reveals why youths are still protesting

Afrobeat musician and activist, Seun Kuti has said that the protests going on across the country is no longer about the Special...

China steps up 5G network, builds 600,000 base stations

China is investing heavily in the 5th generation (5G) mobile network despite fears in some parts of the world.

End SARS: Defense Minister warns protesters

Defence Minister, Bashir Magashi, has warned End SARS protesters against national security breach.He advised them not to allow...