Coronavirus: We regret asking US billionaire for help – Nigerian government

METRO PLUS

Many feared dead as explosion rocks Benue community [PHOTOS]

Scores have been reportedly killed in a fuel tanker explosion at the Amoke village of Apa Local Government Area in Benue State.

Osun: One dead, children, others injured as masquerades attack Muslims

At least, one person has been confirmed dead while about 12 persons, including children sustained gunshot injuries in a clash that ensued...

4 confirmed dead after car hit six pedestrians in Yola

Four pedestrians have been confirmed dead and two others injured after a car hit them around the Adamawa State capital, Yola.

Two rescued, 12 abducted in Kaduna community

Kaduna Police Command has rescued two persons, while 12 others were abducted by bandits in Kachia local government area of Kaduna State.

Man sets in-law’s house ablaze in Jigawa

A 40-year-old man, Ibrahim Musa has set his in-law’s house ablaze at Kuzoyara village, Birniwa local Government area of Jigawa State.

The Nigerian Government on Thursday said it regrets demanding ventilators from a US billionaire, Elon Musk.

The government has consequently withdrawn the plea made by the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning to help provide treatment for the Coronavirus patients within Nigeria.

On Thursday, Musk, who is the founder and Chief Engineer, SpaceX, had, via his official Twitter handle said that his firm had extra ventilators that had been approved by the Food and Drug Administration in America.

He had tweeted, “We have extra FDA-approved ventilators. We will ship to hospitals worldwide within Tesla delivery regions. Only requirement is that the vents are needed immediately for patients and not stored in a warehouse.”

And in response, the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning showed interest, saying, “Dear @Elonmusk @Tesla Federal Government of Nigeria needs support with 100 to 500 ventilators to assist with COVID-19 cases rising every day in Nigeria.”

The response from the government met an immediate backlash from Nigerians on social media.

Following the backlash, the Special Adviser to the Minister on Media and Communications, Yunusa Tanko Abdullahi, issued a disclaimer that the post made on the Ministry’s verified Twitter account was unauthorized and regrettable and therefore has been brought down.

He tweeted, “An unauthorised post was made on the verified Twitter handle of the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning.

“The fact of the post is regrettable because of which it is brought down. We have made sure our internal processes are strengthened that such doesn’t happen again.

“The error is highly regrettable.”

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

Read Also

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Anambra 2021: Soludo remains APGA Guber candidate – Ex-CBN boss’ spokesman, Pauly Onyeka insists

The camp of former Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Governor Prof. Charles Soludo, has rubbished the recent court orders declaring Chuma Umeoji...

Kwara APC crisis: Parallel congresses imminent on Saturday

There are strong indications that parallel congresses will be held by the two major warring factions of the All Progressives Congress in...

Man City to get £10m from Sancho’s transfer to Manchester United

Manchester City will earn around £10 million following Jadon Sancho’s move from Borussia Dortmund to their rivals Manchester United.

We don’t rig elections, Nigerians trust us – APC replies PDP

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has rejected the allegation of planned rigging in 2023 made by National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic...

UK govt meets FG over Nnamdi Kanu’s rearrest, pledges to assist IPOB leader

The British High Commission has said it will engage the Nigerian Government over the rearrest of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous...