COVID-19: Beijing delays primary school pupils’ return

METRO PLUS

Hushpuppi: US court dismisses fraud case against Nigerian, Mr Woodberry

A US court has dismissed a fraud case against a Nigerian accused of cyber-crime, Olalekan Ponle, popularly known as Mr Woodberry.

Four Police officers arrested for fleeing kidnap scene of Maku’s niece

Four police officers who failed to stop the kidnapping of Salisu Usman Maku, nephew of former information minister Labaran Maku have been arrested.

54-year-old pastor defiles girl,10, in Ogun

• Teenager remanded for alleged rape of minor• Man, 28, rapes 14-year-old girlDaud Olatunji, Abiodun...

Generator fumes kill three Delta kids, carpenter falls, dies

Three siblings have died after inhaling generator fumes in Emevor community, in the Isoko North Local Government Area of Delta State.

Police arrest 60-year-old man for defiling 9-year-old girl in Anambra

Police in Anambra State have arrested a 60-year-old man for allegedly defiling a 9-year-old girl in Nkwelle Ezunaka, near Onitsha.
d05f6bc5113cc2bfa1adb1ff7f1b93a6?s=120&d=mm&r=g
Punchvibehttps://www.tribunepointweekly/
Wish To Know Me?, Am Just An Avid Blogger.

Beijing said Friday it would delay primary school pupils returning to class after three fresh coronavirus cases emerged in the capital — the first after two months of no infections in the city.

China has largely brought domestic coronavirus infections under control, and the majority of cases in recent months have been overseas nationals tested as they return home.

But local authorities announced one new case with no recent travel history outside the capital on Thursday, followed by two more cases on Friday.

The two latest patients are employees of the China Meat Research Centre, city officials said at a daily press conference.

One of them had traveled to Qingdao in east China within the past two weeks.

Beijing’s Xinfadi meat wholesale market and Jingshen seafood market were closed Friday for disinfection and environmental sample collection after it emerged both were visited by the patients, local media reported.

The city’s education commission said Friday it had cancelled first, second and third-graders’ planned return to school on Monday — affecting some 520,000 students, Xinhua reported.

The commission said students who had already returned to school would carry on lessons as normal, but with stricter anti-epidemic measures in place.

Beijing students have gradually resumed lessons in waves since late April, after schools had been closed for three months during the coronavirus outbreak.

The city’s last case before the recent spike was reported in mid-April. In total, there have been 597 infections reported in the city — 174 of which were imported from overseas — and nine local deaths, according to official figures.

The recent announcements stoked fears of a fresh wave on social media. “Beijing will be out of control! Quick, improve the level of epidemic prevention! There may come a second wave!” wrote one user on Weibo, a Twitter-like social network.

“I’m living in Fengtai district [where the latest cases live], trembling with fear … Going to buy more masks.

Hope it can be over soon!” said another. Some called for mass COVID-19 testing in Beijing.

China conducted similar testing campaigns on millions of residents in Wuhan — the original epicentre of the outbreak.

Large-scale tests turned up 300 asymptomatic carriers in Wuhan as authorities declared the outbreak was essentially over.

To protect the capital, Beijing is redirecting international flights through other cities where passengers are quarantined and tested before being allowed to proceed.

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

MOST READ

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

LATEST ARTICLES

Recession: Swallow your pride – Atiku tells Buhari

Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, a former Vice President and the Peoples Democratic Party’s presidential candidate in the last election, has given his major...

We are open to financial scrutiny, we are not afraid of probe – Ekiti Governor, Fayemi

The Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, has said the fact that his government was not afraid of probe propelled the...

Why APC Governors visited Jonathan – PDP

The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) says the All Progressives Congress (APC) Governors visited former President, Goodluck Jonathan because they have realised that...

End SARS: Buhari govt has abandoned police personnel whose properties were burnt during protest – Officer laments

A Superintendent of the Nigeria Police Force, NPF, on Saturday, accused the Nigerian government of neglecting officers whose properties were destroyed during...

2023: Why Goodluck Jonathan will not contest for presidency under APC

There have been reports that Governors elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) met with former president, Goodluck Jonathan,...