COVID-19: Move beyond stay-at-home order – APC chieftain, Adelami tells Akeredolu

METRO PLUS

Day-old baby found dead inside well

The corpse of a baby girl, suspected to be a day old, has been recovered in a well at Tsalle Village, Gezawa...

One die during building demolition in Port Harcourt

One person has been confirmed dead after a building which was being demolished around the Ikoku area of Port Harcourt city collapsed.

ATM fraudster nabbed with N1.6m

An alleged fraudster has been arrested with several ATM cards belonging to different people. Aliyu Abdullahi, who hails from...

Bandits kill Catholic Priest, abduct another in Katsina

Suspected bandits, Thursday night, killed Rev. Father Alphonsus Bello Yanshim and disappeared with Rev. Father Joseph Keke both of St. Vincent Ferrer...

How police, other security agencies foiled abduction of 4 Plateau varsity students

Nigerian Security Agencies have prevented the abduction of about four students of the Plateau State University in Bokkos Local Government Area of...

A governorship aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ondo State and former Deputy Clerk to the National Assembly, Olayide Adelami has berated the Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu-led government of not doing enough for residents towards cushioning the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to Adelami, the state government was yet to devise a plan for equitable distribution of resources following the partial lockdown of the state.

Recall that Governor Akeredolu had last week ordered the closure of schools, markets across the state and issued a stay-at-home directive to workers on grade level 1-12 within the state’s civil service.

According to the governor, the move became imperative as part of moves to prevent the state from the scourge of the raging spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

The governorship hopeful who made the call in a statement in Akure, Ondo State capital, called on the government to roll out palliative measures and create food bank to support the people, most especially the vulnerable ones.

“Now that their income has been blocked with the present shutdown and no hope of income from any other means, the Ondo state government needs to step in, mandate the relevant agency to capture their data and begin the distribution of resources to support this sector. Anything short of this could mean an invitation to starvation and depression for a large percentage of the state’s populace,” he said.

He said the informal sector, comprising people mainly within the commercial and agricultural chain, should not be left to suffer during the process of the stay-at-home order.

“The informal sector would be badly hit should the sit-at-home order persist, which looks inevitable as there seems to be no end in sight to the pandemic. While government workers and their counterparts in the private sector are assured of getting paid at the end of the month, same cannot be said about members of the informal sector who only depend on daily proceeds from their trades to fend for themselves and their families,” he lamented.

Adelami also stressed the need for the Ondo government to start preparing for the post-COVID-19 looming economic meltdown being forecast by global economists.

“This pandemic has also shown that there is a need for states in Nigeria to start diversifying and not rely on revenue from Abuja. After the crisis, there is bound to be a shortfall in the monthly allocation states receive from Abuja as world economy will be badly affected, in order not to be caught unaware, Ondo needs to start thinking outside the box on how to generate revenue to keep the state running,” he advised.

He urged the people of the state and Nigerians to stay safe and observe all the precautionary measures put in place by government and health officials to curb the spread of the virus.

Adelami commended the Federal Government and the Lagos state government on how they were effectively managing and containing the spread of the virus in Nigeria.

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

Read Also

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Democracy Day: Nigeria would have been destroyed – Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari on Saturday said Nigeria has witnessed and overcome a good number of testy challenges that would have destroyed it...

I will end insecurity – Buhari assures Nigerians

President Muhammadu Buhari on Saturday vowed to end insecurity in Nigeria. Buhari said his administration is working towards ensuring...

Full speech of President Buhari’s Democracy Day address

President Muhammadu Buhari on Saturday morning, addressed Nigerians to mark the 2021 Democracy Day celebration. The speech reads in...

Anger as Buhari sees ”all Igbo as IPOB,” vows to unleash army, police on Southeast

A section of Nigerians have expressed their anger over President Muhammadu Buhari’s recent comments concerning the South East region.

I’m prepared to lay down my life for Nigeria – President Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that during his days in the Nigerian Army, he was ready to pay the ultimate price for...