Customers will continue to return mutilated notes to banks after Sept.2 — CBN

METRO PLUS

Hushpuppi: US court dismisses fraud case against Nigerian, Mr Woodberry

A US court has dismissed a fraud case against a Nigerian accused of cyber-crime, Olalekan Ponle, popularly known as Mr Woodberry.

Four Police officers arrested for fleeing kidnap scene of Maku’s niece

Four police officers who failed to stop the kidnapping of Salisu Usman Maku, nephew of former information minister Labaran Maku have been arrested.

54-year-old pastor defiles girl,10, in Ogun

• Teenager remanded for alleged rape of minor• Man, 28, rapes 14-year-old girlDaud Olatunji, Abiodun...

Generator fumes kill three Delta kids, carpenter falls, dies

Three siblings have died after inhaling generator fumes in Emevor community, in the Isoko North Local Government Area of Delta State.

Police arrest 60-year-old man for defiling 9-year-old girl in Anambra

Police in Anambra State have arrested a 60-year-old man for allegedly defiling a 9-year-old girl in Nkwelle Ezunaka, near Onitsha.

The Director, CBN Corporate Communications, Mr Isaac Okoroafor disclosed this in a telephone interview with newsmen in Lagos. NAN reports that this is contrary to the news making round that mutilated notes collection would stop after the deadline.

Okoroafor said that people had been misinterpreting the story to say that the banks would stop the collection of mutilated notes after Sept.2. “It is not true, the banks will continue to accept those notes from people.

“The general public should continue to return mutilated banknotes to their banks after the deadline. “September 2, 2019, deadline does not apply to bank customers or the general public who will continue to return mutilated notes to the banks.

“It only applies to the banks because free sorting of Naira notes for them will cease at the expiration of that deadline,” Okoroafor said. Also read: CBN to disburse lower currencies to microfinance banks He noted that Sept. 2 was only the deadline after which CBN would begin to charge banks.

Okoroafor said that “we opened a window from June to September so that when they bring the notes without sorting, we can sort it for them free.

” But as from Sept. 2, if they get those notes, they need to sort it before they bring it to us. “The deposit by customers and acceptance by commercial banks of mutilated notes is a normal and continuous banking practice and as such continues even after Sept. 2.

“Anyone whose qualifying mutilated note is rejected by any bank should report such a bank to CBN by calling 07002255226 between 9 am and 4 pm daily,” he said. On banks compliance level to the CBN mutilated notes directive, Okoroafor said:

“I wouldn’t know what the compliance level is now until we ask our currency people. “But all we know is that they are returning the notes, they have been bringing it in and we have been replacing it with new ones,” he told NAN.

Recall that the CBN had opened a three-month window from June 3 to Sept. 2 for customers across the country to replace old notes with new ones in all the banks. The apex bank said this was part of its efforts to improve the overall quality of the naira notes in circulation.

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

MOST READ

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

LATEST ARTICLES

Recession: Swallow your pride – Atiku tells Buhari

Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, a former Vice President and the Peoples Democratic Party’s presidential candidate in the last election, has given his major...

We are open to financial scrutiny, we are not afraid of probe – Ekiti Governor, Fayemi

The Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, has said the fact that his government was not afraid of probe propelled the...

Why APC Governors visited Jonathan – PDP

The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) says the All Progressives Congress (APC) Governors visited former President, Goodluck Jonathan because they have realised that...

End SARS: Buhari govt has abandoned police personnel whose properties were burnt during protest – Officer laments

A Superintendent of the Nigeria Police Force, NPF, on Saturday, accused the Nigerian government of neglecting officers whose properties were destroyed during...

2023: Why Goodluck Jonathan will not contest for presidency under APC

There have been reports that Governors elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) met with former president, Goodluck Jonathan,...