Deadly California fire was started to cover up a murder: police

METRO PLUS

How police, other security agencies foiled abduction of 4 Plateau varsity students

Nigerian Security Agencies have prevented the abduction of about four students of the Plateau State University in Bokkos Local Government Area of...

Father kills 18-year-old son in Kano over missing palm oil

A resident of the Gwazaye Quarter in the Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano State, Awaisu Nagyala, has allegedly beaten his 18-year-old...

Security guard invites robbers to rob employer

The Ondo State Police Command has arrested a security guard working at the S.A. Filling Station in Ondo town, Abiodun Osuntimehin, for...

Three killed as robbers attack bank in Delta

Armed robbers on Tuesday reportedly killed three persons when they attacked a bank in the Issele-Uku, Aniocha North Local Governments Area of...

Kidnapping: Court laments delay in Evans trial

Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of an Ikeja Special Offences Court has expressed worries over the delay in the trial of Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, popularly...

A California fire that killed two people last year was intentionally set to cover up a murder, investigators revealed in a press briefing.

The Markley Fire was started in Northern California’s Solano County on Aug. 18, 2020 near where police found the burned body of 32-year-old missing person Priscilla Castro.

Authorities had previously said Castro was reported missing after she went on a date with Victor Serriteno two days before the fire. She was not seen again.

“Based on an extensive, eight-month investigation, we believe Serriteno deliberately set the Markley Fire in an attempt to conceal his crime,” Tom Ferrara, the Solano County Sheriff, said in a briefing Wednesday.

Serriteno, who was arrested in September and accused of killing Castro, now faces additional charges of arson and the murders of both men — 82-year-old Douglas Mai and 64-year old Leon “James” Bone — who died in their homes as a result of the fire.

The Markley Fire later merged with a series of other fires to form the LNU Lightning Complex, one of the largest wildfires in the state’s history, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

The other fires were believed to have been sparked after nearly 11,000 lightning strikes hit the northern part of the state as it endured a historic heatwave

Collectively, the fire complex scorched over 363,000 acres across California’s famed wine country and burned down almost 1,500 structures after forcing the evacuation of tens of thousands of residents.

The massive inferno tore through the area north of San Francisco for two months and killed six people.


Sources: CTV News

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

Read Also

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Ontario’s stay-at-home order will likely be extended into June to avoid fourth COVID-19 wave

Ontario has been advised to "stay the course" with the province's pandemic restrictions until COVID-19 cases experience a significant decline, which could...

Solskjaer slams ‘impossible schedule’ after Man Utd qualify for Europa League final

Manchester United manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has hit out at the Premier League after they were ordered to play three matches in...

Saraki plots comeback in Kwara, as APC grapples with internal crisis

In 2019, the 16 years reign of former Senate President, Bukola Saraki as the King of Kwara politics came to an end...

Insecurity: Employ mercenaries to fight bandits, Boko Haram – Buba Galadima to Buhari

Buba Galadima, former leader of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change, CPC, has called on the Federal Government to re-enlist the services...

Children 12 and older now cleared to receive Pfizer vaccine: Health Canada

Health Canada says the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is now safe to give to children ages 12 and up. The...