Don’t panic over military exercise in Oyigbo – LGA Chair

METRO PLUS

Hushpuppi: US court dismisses fraud case against Nigerian, Mr Woodberry

A US court has dismissed a fraud case against a Nigerian accused of cyber-crime, Olalekan Ponle, popularly known as Mr Woodberry.

Four Police officers arrested for fleeing kidnap scene of Maku’s niece

Four police officers who failed to stop the kidnapping of Salisu Usman Maku, nephew of former information minister Labaran Maku have been arrested.

54-year-old pastor defiles girl,10, in Ogun

• Teenager remanded for alleged rape of minor• Man, 28, rapes 14-year-old girlDaud Olatunji, Abiodun...

Generator fumes kill three Delta kids, carpenter falls, dies

Three siblings have died after inhaling generator fumes in Emevor community, in the Isoko North Local Government Area of Delta State.

Police arrest 60-year-old man for defiling 9-year-old girl in Anambra

Police in Anambra State have arrested a 60-year-old man for allegedly defiling a 9-year-old girl in Nkwelle Ezunaka, near Onitsha.

Residents of Oyigbo Local government areas of Rivers State have been asked not to panic over military presence in the area.

Chairman of Oyigbo LGA, Gerald Oforji made the appeal in a statement he personally signed on Sunday.

Oforji also urged residents not to panic over military exercise going on in the area as it is aimed at recovery of stolen arms.

“People living and doing businesses in Oyigbo to strictly obey the 24hrs curfew imposed by Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike.

“Total compliance to the Governor’s directive will ease the lifting of the curfew,” he stated.

Oforji’s appeal comes amidst rife reports of alleged ‘mass killings’ in Oyigbo by security agencies.

While the media space is totally blank of pictures and videos from Oyigbo, residents have been raising alarm on social media and local radio in Port Harcourt.

However, a resident of the area, Ndu Amaike told DAILY POST that the alleged killing started since Governor Wike’s declaration about the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB in all parts of the State.

Amaike said the essence of the military action is extra judicial, adding that, “I have personally lost two people that are close to me. The army just shoots at will and bullet will just touch people.

“The soldiers mounted roadblocks on the major roads but we now hear that they are about to move into the streets. So, those that have gates have started to lock their gates. People are just scared really.”

Meanwhile, a group known as the Indigenous Youth Forum (IYF) says it has given Governor Nyesom Wike and the Rivers State Government 48 hours to release those arrested and missing, and also bring out bodies of those allegedly executed in Oyigbo Local Government Area.

The group said it will be forced to take necessary actions if the authorities fail to comply within the given period.

General spokesperson for IYF, Ebube Nwagbara in a statement accused the Rivers State Governor of declaring war on Ndigbo under the pretext of hunting members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

He also alleged that the ongoing military operation going on in Oyigbo has claimed the lives of 28 Igbo sons and daughters in four days, 33 people are missing and 17, including women and children, are shot and wounded.

He said, “We are using this medium to draw the attention of well-meaning Nigerians and members of the international community to the ongoing massacre of Ndigbo in Rivers State by Nigerian soldiers acting on the order from Governor Nyesom Wike, who has for tribal hatred and political reasons, Wike chose to exterminate Ndigbo in Rivers State using the heinous charges he concocted against IPOB (who are the majority of Ndigbo in Rivers State) for the violence that erupted across the state and nationwide during the #EndSARS protest.

“According to our record so far, this war against Ndigbo in Rivers State has claimed the lives of 28 Igbo sons and daughters in four days, 33 people are missing and 17, including women and children, are shot and wounded.

“Ndigbo did not plan the #EndSARS protest, nor did they start the protest, violence and destruction that followed the protest across the country, so if not out of hatred for Ndigbo, we see no reason why Wike would blame Ndigbo in the case of Rivers State when there are other ethnic groups who participated in the protest which he claim was hijacked by Ndigbo under the aegis of IPOB.

“The ongoing arrest, dehumanization and execution of Ndigbo in Rivers State, on the orders of Governor Nyesom Wike, is a provocation that could lead to a tribal war if not ended now because we the Igbo youths will no longer fold our hands and watch our people being slaughtered in any form whatsoever while their own people and others feel comfortable and safe in our homes”.

While the Rivers State government is yet to react to the development, Spokesman for the State Police Command, SP Nnamdi Omoni when contacted said, “There is such thing as massacre in Oyigbo.”

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

MOST READ

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

LATEST ARTICLES

Recession: Swallow your pride – Atiku tells Buhari

Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, a former Vice President and the Peoples Democratic Party’s presidential candidate in the last election, has given his major...

We are open to financial scrutiny, we are not afraid of probe – Ekiti Governor, Fayemi

The Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, has said the fact that his government was not afraid of probe propelled the...

Why APC Governors visited Jonathan – PDP

The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) says the All Progressives Congress (APC) Governors visited former President, Goodluck Jonathan because they have realised that...

End SARS: Buhari govt has abandoned police personnel whose properties were burnt during protest – Officer laments

A Superintendent of the Nigeria Police Force, NPF, on Saturday, accused the Nigerian government of neglecting officers whose properties were destroyed during...

2023: Why Goodluck Jonathan will not contest for presidency under APC

There have been reports that Governors elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) met with former president, Goodluck Jonathan,...