Man in his 30s dies after large COVID-19 outbreak at student residence in Peterborough, Ont.

METRO PLUS

How police, other security agencies foiled abduction of 4 Plateau varsity students

Nigerian Security Agencies have prevented the abduction of about four students of the Plateau State University in Bokkos Local Government Area of...

Father kills 18-year-old son in Kano over missing palm oil

A resident of the Gwazaye Quarter in the Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano State, Awaisu Nagyala, has allegedly beaten his 18-year-old...

Security guard invites robbers to rob employer

The Ondo State Police Command has arrested a security guard working at the S.A. Filling Station in Ondo town, Abiodun Osuntimehin, for...

Three killed as robbers attack bank in Delta

Armed robbers on Tuesday reportedly killed three persons when they attacked a bank in the Issele-Uku, Aniocha North Local Governments Area of...

Kidnapping: Court laments delay in Evans trial

Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of an Ikeja Special Offences Court has expressed worries over the delay in the trial of Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, popularly...

A man in his 30s has died from COVID-19 after a large outbreak was declared at a privately operated student residence in Peterborough, Ont. last month, marking the area’s youngest disease-related death.

Peterborough Public Health (PPH) says the fatality is the first connected to an outbreak at Severn Court, an off-campus student housing site primarily for Fleming College students.

The man was diagnosed with a COVID-19 variant of concern and hospitalized outside the region last week before he died yesterday, according to PPH.

“As the youngest person to die locally from COVID-19, it reminds us how serious this pandemic is, that youth are not immune from its worst outcomes, and that we all have a role to play in ending it to prevent future tragedies,” Medical Officer of Health Dr. Rosana Salvaterra said in a press release issued Tuesday.

There have been 59 cases associated with the outbreak at Severn Court and all the cases have screened positive for a variant of concern.

Only five active cases remain as most of the cases linked to the outbreak have been resolved.

“The number of high-risk contacts linked to the outbreak has declined considerably, indicating that the outbreak is stabilizing,” PPH said.

The outbreak, which was declared on Feb. 27, is the largest recorded in Peterborough since the pandemic began over a year ago.

Severn Court is home to about 200 students living in six separate buildings.

Based on initial investigations, several of the exposures happened during a private gathering on Feb. 20, according to PPH.

At the time, Peterborough was still under a stay-at-home order urging all residents to stay home except for essential reasons, including going to work, medical appointments, purchasing groceries and exercise.

Peterborough transitioned to the red control level of the province’s tiered, colour-coded COVID-19 response framework on Mar. 8. This means that social gatherings are limited to five people indoors and 25 outdoors as long as physical distancing can be maintained.


Sources: CTV News

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

Read Also

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

How police, other security agencies foiled abduction of 4 Plateau varsity students

Nigerian Security Agencies have prevented the abduction of about four students of the Plateau State University in Bokkos Local Government Area of...

More clashes in Minnesota after police shoot, kill Black man

Police clashed with protesters for a second night in the Minneapolis suburb where an officer who authorities say apparently intended to fire...

Ontario’s hard-hit ICUs aren’t just running out of beds, but also doctors and nurses

As the third wave overtakes the province, with no sign of slowing down, Ontario’s hospitals are turning into war zones — and...

Air Canada, Canadian government reach agreement in $5.9-billion ‘liquidity program’

Air Canada and the federal government have reached an agreement on a $5.9-billion aid package that the company says will speed up...

Kidnap epidemic: Gunmen abduct 18 in Ogun, Oyo, Rivers, Imo, Katsina

*Kidnappers whisk Ogun doctor, nurse away, NMA expresses concern *Gunmen kidnap Imo monarch, five traditional chiefs, two...