One Championship MMA fights to resume next month

METRO PLUS

US arraigns 11 Nigerians over fresh $6m fraud

Barely two weeks after the United States indicted six Nigerians for their alleged involvement in over $6m internet fraud, 11 more Nigerians have...

Okadamen stone Lagos businessman to death for hitting partially sighted man

A businessman, Usman Yamah, has been killed by a group of motorcyclists in the Elepe area of the Ikorodu North Local Government...

Hushpuppi: Fraud does not represent who we are, says Dabiri-Erewa

The Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, says criminal acts such as fraud do not define the Nigerian people.

Police arrest dismissed sergeant for robbery

The suspect, Makama Musa, was a sergeant before his dismissal from the ForceArmstrong Bakam, Bauchi

Two dead, many injured in Lagos-Ibadan Expressway tanker explosions

Two persons were confirmed dead, while several others were injured after two petrol-laden tankers went up in flames at the Kara Bridge...
d05f6bc5113cc2bfa1adb1ff7f1b93a6?s=120&d=mm&r=g
Punchvibehttps://www.tribunepointweekly/
Wish To Know Me?, Am Just An Avid Blogger.

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – JANUARY 19: Manny Pacquiao (R) throws a right on Adrien Broner during the WBA welterweight championship at MGM Grand Garden Arena on January 19, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Christian Petersen/Getty Images/AFP

Asia’s largest mixed martial arts promotion, One Championship, will return behind closed doors in Thailand next month after a five-month break because of the coronavirus, officials said on Monday.

One, which promotes cards across the region in mixed martial arts, Muay Thai and kickboxing, last put on a major show at the end of February.

The Singapore-based company has since cancelled several events and slashed 20 percent of staff, although it has also revealed a $70 million funding boost from institutional investors.

With virus outbreaks slowing in many parts of Asia, the company said its flagship events would restart with an event without fans in the Thai capital Bangkok on July 31.

“Most national borders remain closed in Asia, and this has posed unique logistical and operational challenges,” One’s CEO Chatri Sityodtong said.

The first three major bouts of the “One: No Surrender” event have been confirmed.

Among fighters taking part are ONE flyweight Muay Thai world champion Rodtang “The Iron Man” Jitmuangnon, Petchdam “The Baby Shark” Petchyindee Academy, and “The Boxing Computer” Yodsanklai IWE Fairtex.

One had already put on fights in its Hero series, feeder events for the main championship, in China in June, before deciding to resume major shows.

The US-based Ultimate Fighting Championship on May 10 became one of the first sports to restart post-coronavirus.

UFC has so far successfully put on six shows in tightly controlled environments in Jacksonville, Florida, and Las Vegas.

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

MOST READ

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

LATEST ARTICLES

Taiwan Expels Two Chinese Journalists Over Political Shows

Taiwan expelled two mainland Chinese journalists Friday after a talk show on their channel pushed for Beijing “unifying” with the self-ruled island,...

The Battle For Bollywood: Virus, Streaming Apps Spark Fears For Cinemas

(FILES) In this file photo taken on September 22, 2017 Sandeep Bacche, an Indian rickshaw driver and fan of Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, poses for a picture in Mumbai. – A Bollywood actor’s face tattooed on his arm, Sandeep Bacche’s devotion shocks few in India where stars enjoy semi-divine status. But even here the hallowed silver screen may be losing its shine to streaming services and pandemic fears. With cinemas shut for months due to a coronavirus lockdown, and little prospect they will open soon, frustrated Bollywood producers have turned to the likes of Amazon, Netflix and Disney+ Hotstar to release films online. (Photo by PUNIT PARANJPE / AFP)

Former Panama Presidents Charged With Money Laundering

Former Panama president Ricardo Martinelli is surrounded by reporters as he arrives at the Prosecutor’s office in Panama City, on July 2, 2020 amid the COVID-19 novel coronavirus pandemic. – Panama’s former president Ricardo Martinelli must face corruption charges just eight months after he was acquitted of spying on political foes, one of his lawyers said on Wednesday. According to local media, Martinelli has been linked to the so-called “New Business” case in which an editorial group was allegedly bought using public money during his 2009-14 term as president. (Photo by MAURICIO VALENZUELA / AFP)

French Court Rejects New Probe Of Plane Downing That Sparked Rwanda Genocide

French appeals judges on Friday rejected a request to reopen an investigation into the 1994 assassination of Rwanda’s president Juvenal Habyarimana, which...

Buhari Suspends NSITF Boss, 11 Top Officials

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate, compulsory, and indefinite suspension of Mr Adebayo Somefun, the Managing Director and Chief Executive of...