US Offers N2.52b award for Boko Haram pioneer Shekau’s capture

METRO PLUS

Hushpuppi: US court dismisses fraud case against Nigerian, Mr Woodberry

A US court has dismissed a fraud case against a Nigerian accused of cyber-crime, Olalekan Ponle, popularly known as Mr Woodberry.

Four Police officers arrested for fleeing kidnap scene of Maku’s niece

Four police officers who failed to stop the kidnapping of Salisu Usman Maku, nephew of former information minister Labaran Maku have been arrested.

54-year-old pastor defiles girl,10, in Ogun

• Teenager remanded for alleged rape of minor• Man, 28, rapes 14-year-old girlDaud Olatunji, Abiodun...

Generator fumes kill three Delta kids, carpenter falls, dies

Three siblings have died after inhaling generator fumes in Emevor community, in the Isoko North Local Government Area of Delta State.

Police arrest 60-year-old man for defiling 9-year-old girl in Anambra

Police in Anambra State have arrested a 60-year-old man for allegedly defiling a 9-year-old girl in Nkwelle Ezunaka, near Onitsha.

Abubakar Shekau: US looking for you

The United States Department of State has offered a juicy $7m reward, about N2.52 billion for information that can lead to the arrest of Abubakar Shekau, the Boko Haram leader menacing Nigeria and the neighbouring countries.

The bounty was the biggest placed on all the terrorists declared wanted by the United States government.

“Every government and every citizen has a stake in bringing terrorists to justice and in preventing acts of terrorism”, the US State Department said.

The offer was made on the French version of the official Twitter account of the US State Department Rewards for Justice Program.

The notice provides the contact details for anyone who is interested in collecting the bounty as #Whatsapp: +1 202 975 9195 and #Telegram: @RFJ_Francais_bot.

It was not clear why the Department of State chose to declare Shekau wanted in the French version of its Twitter accounts.

In the English version of the Twitter account, which was opened 27 February, the Reward for Justice Program also offered $5million reward for information on 3 ISIS leaders and another $6m on another terror group AQAP leaders.

“Up to $5 million for information on ISIS key leaders Hajji ‘Abdallah, Hajji Hamid and Hajji Taysir. Justice never sleeps, and never stops looking for ISIS terrorists. If you have information ISIS, please submit a tip. 100% confidential. http://rewardsforjustice.net #RFJ”, the tweet said.

US case against Shekau:
Abubakar Shekau is the leader of Jama’atu Ahl as-Sunnah il-Da’awati wal-Jihad, more commonly known as Boko Haram. Boko Haram, which means “Western education is forbidden,” is a Nigeria-based terrorist organization that seeks to overthrow the current Nigerian government and replace it with a regime based on Islamic law.

The group has existed in various forms since the late 1990s. There are reported communications, training, and weapons links between Boko Haram, al-Qaida in the Lands of the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), al-Shabaab, and al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, which may strengthen Boko Haram’s capacity to conduct terrorist attacks.

Abubakar Shekau
Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram leader

Shekau was previously the group’s second-in-command. In July 2010, Shekau publicly claimed leadership of Boko Haram and threatened to attack Western interests in Nigeria. Later that month, Shekau issued a second statement expressing solidarity with al-Qaida and threatening the United States. Under Shekau’s leadership, Boko Haram’s operational capabilities have grown.

The group set off its first vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (IED) in June 2011, and has increasingly utilized IEDs in attacks against soft targets. Boko Haram’s August 26, 2011 vehicle-bomb attack on the United Nations headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria marked the group’s first lethal operation against Western interests. At least 23 people were killed, and 80 more were injured, in the attack. A purported Boko Haram spokesman claimed responsibility for the attack and promised future targeting of U.S. and Nigerian government interests.

On May 1, 2012, less than one week after the group bombed a Nigerian newspaper building in Abuja, Boko Haram issued a video statement threatening more attacks on local and international news outlets, including the Voice of America and Sahara Reporters, a New York-based media service.

Under Shekau’s leadership Boko Haram has continually targeted young children. On April 14, 2014, Boko Haram kidnapped close to 300 girls from their school in northern Nigeria. In a video message released three weeks later, Shekau claimed responsibility for the kidnappings, calling the girls slaves and threatening to sell them in the market.

On June 21, 2012, the U.S. Department of State designated Shekau a Specially Designated Global Terrorist under Executive Order 13224.

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

MOST READ

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

LATEST ARTICLES

Lekki shooting: Why I said forces were beyond my control – Sanwo Olu

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has explained what he meant when he said that ‘forces’ beyond his direct control were to...

End SARS: Buhari presides over NSC meeting

President Muhammadu Buhari is currently presiding over the National Security Council Meeting, NSC, in Abuja.Bashir Ahmed, the President’s...

It’s s no longer about SARS – Seun Kuti reveals why youths are still protesting

Afrobeat musician and activist, Seun Kuti has said that the protests going on across the country is no longer about the Special...

China steps up 5G network, builds 600,000 base stations

China is investing heavily in the 5th generation (5G) mobile network despite fears in some parts of the world.

End SARS: Defense Minister warns protesters

Defence Minister, Bashir Magashi, has warned End SARS protesters against national security breach.He advised them not to allow...