US opposes Nigeria’s plan to hand Kebbi governor $100m from Abacha loot

METRO PLUS

Hushpuppi: US court dismisses fraud case against Nigerian, Mr Woodberry

A US court has dismissed a fraud case against a Nigerian accused of cyber-crime, Olalekan Ponle, popularly known as Mr Woodberry.

Four Police officers arrested for fleeing kidnap scene of Maku’s niece

Four police officers who failed to stop the kidnapping of Salisu Usman Maku, nephew of former information minister Labaran Maku have been arrested.

54-year-old pastor defiles girl,10, in Ogun

• Teenager remanded for alleged rape of minor• Man, 28, rapes 14-year-old girlDaud Olatunji, Abiodun...

Generator fumes kill three Delta kids, carpenter falls, dies

Three siblings have died after inhaling generator fumes in Emevor community, in the Isoko North Local Government Area of Delta State.

Police arrest 60-year-old man for defiling 9-year-old girl in Anambra

Police in Anambra State have arrested a 60-year-old man for allegedly defiling a 9-year-old girl in Nkwelle Ezunaka, near Onitsha.

The United States is opposing plans by Nigeria to give $100 million from loots recovered from former Nigeria military dictator Sani Abacha to Kebbi State governor Atiku Bagudu.

US Department of Justice said Bagudu was involved in corruption with the late Abacha who Transparency International (TI) said may have looted as much as $5 billion during his 1993-98 rule in Nigeria.

DoJ also contends that the Nigerian government is hindering U.S. efforts to recover allegedly laundered money it said was traced to Bagudu, Bloomberg reported on Friday.

DoJ said in a statement earlier in the month that Bagudu with Abacha and Abacha’s son Mohammed Sani Abacha “embezzled, misappropriated and extorted billions from the government of Nigeria and others, then laundered their criminal proceeds through U.S. financial institutions and the purchase of bonds backed by the United States.”

“The United States has asked the government of Nigeria to withdraw litigation it has instituted in the UK that hinders the U.S. effort to recover these additional funds for the people of Nigeria,” DoJ said in February 2020.

According to the Bloomberg report, the Nigerian government said there is a 17-year-old agreement that entitles Bagudu to the funds and prevents Nigeria from assisting the U.S., according to recent filings from the District Court for the District of Columbia in Washington.

“This case illustrates how complex and contentious repatriating stolen assets to Nigeria can be,” said Matthew Page, an associate fellow at London-based Chatham House and former Nigeria expert for U.S. intelligence agencies.

“Instead of welcoming U.S. efforts, Nigeria’s lawyers appear to be supporting the interests of one of the country’s most powerful families.”

Prior to this, Nigerian governments have sought to recoup the money looted by Abacha, who died in office, and have so far repatriated more than $2 billion with the cooperation of other countries, according to U.S. court filings.

In the case involving Bagudu, the U.S. in 2013 initiated a forfeiture action against a host of assets, including four investment portfolios held in London in trust for him and his family, according to the district court filings.

Sign up to FREE email alerts from Tribunepoint Weekly - Daily News

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

- Advertisement -

MOST READ

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

LATEST ARTICLES

Nigeria at 60: FG lists roads to be closed, tightens security at Eagle Square

The federal government has announced increased security measures for Nigeria’s 60th Independence Anniversary celebration.Ahead of the October 1...

NERC finally suspends electricity tariff hike

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) on Wednesday directed the 11 Electricity Distribution Companies (DISCOs) to suspend the Sept. 1 new tariff.

Nigeria’s COVID-19 cases hit 58,647

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has said no death was recorded in the last 24-hours.The agency...

Chelsea midfielder leaves for EPL rivals after Carabao Cup exit

Chelsea have sent Ross Barkley out on a one-year loan at Aston Villa.The move was confirmed by the...

Coronavirus: Global death toll exceeds 1 million

The number of global coronavirus deaths has exceeded 1 million.Cases recorded have passed 33.5 million.